Monday, March 14, 2005

2006 BMW 530xi

BMW is finally offering all-wheel drive for their 5-series passenger car. They offered all wheel drive on the 3-series in 1991 but took a break until the 2001 model year. They never offered this on other sedan offerings. That always surprised me since Audi has been doing very well in this segment. Mercedes-Benz got into the arena in 1990 for their E-Class but they bowed out for several years. As of 2004 they (MB) offered 4matic for all their sedan offerings. So now it seems all preium/luxury marques have some AWD sedan offering. (Infiniti, Lexus, Cadillac etc.)

BMW could out-Audi in this offering. Leaving in the NorthEast I'm more reliant on all-wheel drive. My 2002 A6 2.7t was the first Audi (as well as my first all-wheel drive) I had. I don't know how I managed to drive around here without AWD. The car is basically unstoppable. This doesn't give me license to drive like an idiot but makes me feel much more comfortable that I won't get stuck somewhere. This self-confidence makes the commute home much easier.

No comments: