Monday, March 07, 2005

Disposable DVDs - The end of rental returns?

Here something that I found today. The BLOG author makes reference to an article that is over a year and half old (as he states himself) but the issue is still relevant. Seems like the company flexplay is like a lazy man's NetFlix. I'm all for recycling but this seems like a deliberate way to put strain on the environment rather that eliviate it. To me they are answering a question no one is asking. There is a "What is Flexplay?" video stream on the Amazon.com site. After looking at it, I just can't understand how then can allude "Watch what you want, when you want". Every rental place allows you to "watch want you want" as far as the claim "when you want"...if the when is within 48 hours of you opening the package then OK...they're correct. They also state that a movie can be viewable up to one year if the packaging hasn't been opened. Who's going to want to prove that wrong. I know in the early days some players worked like some demo software works today. (e.g. Allowing you a certain number of starts before the program stops working). After poking around a bit more while writing this I found another article that shows this is still a current topic.

NOTE: It looks like I'm having an issue with trackbacks. I'll see what I can fix...my apologize to the orignating BLOG author. I may just do a direct link if I can't resolve this issue.

No comments: