Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Apple announced move to Intel Processors starting in 2006

OK I'm as confused as the next guy here. Apple has always implied that it is a "software" company (now that iPods have spun off on their own I guess that can still be true). However, I just don't understand why the need to change from the PowerPC to Intel. Not that macs are gaming machines but the next gen gaming consoles are based on RISC/Cell processors so why wouldn't Apple continue to ride the wave they started? It seems to me there is more stuff going on behind the scenes. Perhaps Apple and IBm have been reluctant partners as of late. Maybe Apple felt that it would be held hostage by IBM in future processor designs and should make the break now while Apple hardware/software is making a slight comeback. I go back to the tag-line Apple had many years ago "Think Different". To me this isn't different enough. Personally what does this mean for the Apple computers that I have now? (Dual 2.5 G5 PowerMac and G4 PowerBook) I guess software updates will continue for a while. The first Intel based PowerMac isn't scheduled until 2007 (while an Intel Mac Mini is rumored to be ready by 2006 (late 2005?)) Apple has changed processors before and still survived but they didn't change to the same chip-set as their competitors. Time will tell. As a tangent Apple was criticized when it dropped support for the Floppy Drive and when they adopted USB/Firewire at times when peripherals using those interfaces where not common. Even Apple's adoption of PCI didn't hurt it. Like the rest of us...I'll wait and see but can't help to be worried for their future.

No comments: