Friday, January 21, 2005

OWC Mercury-on-the-Go Portable storage

I just placed an order for one of these drives yesterday. I'm using Maxtor's OneTouch II (300GB) firewire drives for my Desktop System (PowerMac G5) but those are physically to big to lug around for my wife's PowerBook . Besides her PowerBook only has a 40GB hard drive. That would be way to small for me...but for her use it suits her just fine. I know OWC (Otherworld Computing) is known more for their Apple hardware upgrades but I've read many reviews that also had good things to say about using this drive family on Windows machines.

This drives weighs in around 11 ounces and can be bus powered (USB 2.0/Firewire). Capacities range from 20GB to 100GB. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in. I was mainly looking for something small and easy for her to use to back up with. Backing up to DVD-Rs wasn't very appealing to her....so she didn't back up at all! Of course guess who would be responseable for recovering that lost data?! So I thought I would make it easier for me. Even if I can sneak a backup in once a week while she is not using it would be good. BTW: My rationale for getting a 60GB drive rather than a 40Gb that would match her internal hard drive is: I can partition the drive (40GB & 20GB) and use the Dantz Restrospect to make a bootable backup copy on the 40GB and use the other 20GB to transer large files to another machine (or even use that partion for my Windows laptop)

How do you backup your laptop? (hardware/software used)

UPDATE: 28-Jan-2005
Drive came in yesterday and is working out great. It even comes with a "leather" case to transport the drive and cable (in my case the 6-pin firewire (no need for the power supply if you use that))

No comments: